Toxic Positivy

Hi Awesomers,

I hope you are well and have been taking care of yourselves.

From the title, you can already tell that this is more of a think piece which I would like to hear your opinion on. I have noticed that I have a problem with how some people choose to practice their positivity - this may sound a bit negative but read me out 😂. I believe the point of being positive is to see a better world for yourself and those around you. It is to spread love, share love and focus on the good more than the bad.

People tend to totally ignore the bad or brush it off . I have a problem with totally ignoring situations; or the state of the world in which we live in, and pretending like things are not burning or that it has no effect on us at all. I find that in a way, it takes the responsibility away and that, for me, is toxic.

It is dangerous to not aknowledge the impact negative situations have in our lives. Actually, I think healing is what brings forth the positivity and my problem lies in the perceived “forced” positivity which is spread by disregarding said negative situations. When you feel like shit you feel like shit, and there's a reason for it, which needs you to take actions to better yourself and be in a good space.

Situations exist, both good and bad. With time, we have learnt that bad situations prepare us for better - which does not mean that we shouldn’t acknowledge the challenges we faced during the difficult times, but instead deal with the emotions you experience and still be able to move on.

When you pretend to be fine or positive about a situation you're not fine with, it doesn’t disappear, but instead, it lingers in the back and resurfaces from time to time. Honestly, how many times are you going to pretend until you finally lash out? I love positive people but sometimes I dislike how unrealistic they can be about certain things and maybe that's because I'm not in tune with my “3rd eye nton nton”, but I honestly believe that emotions suppressed are dangerous. I see nothing wrong with being able to be positive in the midst of terrible situations as long as you allow yourself to feel what the situation requires you to feel and then move beyond that.




What I am saying is positivity, just like anything in this world, can become toxic when done too often. Be careful not to hide your feelings/emotions all in the name of being positive. You are a human being and you have to allow yourself to feel so you can heal. Whatever you pretend, at some point you will get exhausted and won't be able to pretend anymore. Save yourself the trouble and be honest to yourself above anything else.



I would really love to hear your thoughts on this. Comment, email me, tag me on social media let's talk about it and possibly find a way to approach it better.

Catch up with me on my podcast - Ayanda Being in Conversation

Take care of yourself and your loved ones  Stay Home and stay awesome 😘


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. Appreciate it a lot 🙏🏽

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uncovered: Movie Review

Commit to yourself

#NoSnooze2020